Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Best Cheap Benzoyl Peroxide Cleanser: AcneFree Review

I first tried AcneFree's benzoyl peroxide cleanser several years ago because it looked like an affordable alternative to the Proactiv cleanser that I was using back then. The two products seem similar, but let me tell you, the AcneFree version is so much better! This review will focus on AcneFree's Oil-Free Acne Cleanser, but I am also going to include comparisons to Proactiv's Renewing Cleanser, just in case any of you are thinking of making the same switch that I made.

AcneFree Oil-Free Acne Cleanser 8 oz. bottle

First, I'll list the similarities between these two cleansers. They both have a cream-like texture and supposedly contain "gentle exfoliating beads." They both contain 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and can be purchased alone or as part of a three-step acne treatment system. And both the Proactiv cleanser and the AcneFree cleanser are packaged in cylindrical bottles.

That's where the similarities end.

In fact, the exfoliating beads in the AcneFree product are very tiny microbeads that add a bit of exfoliation without causing you to feel as though you are rubbing course sand around on your skin. I haven't used the Proactiv cleanser in about five years, but back then, that's about what the product felt like.

Another difference is the size of the bottle; AcneFree gives you 8 ounces at an extraordinarily affordable price (see pros below), while Proactiv only gives you 2 ounces, and at a much steeper price.

AcneFree bottle size compared to ChapStick

But the most important difference of all is that, on my skin, AcneFree has worked a whole lot better than Proactiv ever did. I have taken to using this every morning in the shower on my chest, upper back, and face. It works okay on my face, but it has worked miracles on the persistent acne on my chest and upper back. As long as I cleanse with this about every 24 hours and then apply a topical salicylic acid gel, my chest and back stay clear. If I deviate from this routine at all by using a cleanser other than AcneFree, skipping a shower, etc., then my acne returns with a vengeance.

Anyway, here are a few more details...

Pros:

  •  It works! (For me, anyway. Everyone's skin is different, especially when it comes to acne.)
  • Creamy texture is gentle and easy to spread.
  • Large 8 oz. bottle lasts a long time.
  • Easy to dispense; no lid to unscrew.
  • Bottle doesn't leak easily, so I can keep it in the shower.
  • Readily available at mass merchandise stores, drugstores, and online.
  • At my local Walmart, I only pay about $6 for an 8 oz. bottle. At Amazon, you can order a pack of three 8 oz. bottles for only $13.47 (as of this posting, anyway).

Cons:

  • As with all products containing benzoyl peroxide, it may bleach your washcloth and towels. I use white washcloths to avoid this, and I've never had a problem with it bleaching clothes or anything after I've dried off, even though I use it on my chest and upper back.
  • The inactive ingredients (listed below) have changed a couple of times in the years I've used this, which is annoying because I'm very careful about what I use on my acne-prone skin. It seems to keep working as well as ever, though.
  • Let's face it. The packaging is sort of ugly.

Obviously, the active ingredient of this cleanser is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. As of May 2012, here are the inactive ingredients of AcneFree Oil-Free Acne Cleanser:

Water, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Bakuchiol, Panthenyl Triacetate, Bisabolol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Naringenin, Sea Whip Extract, Polyethylene, Xanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sodium Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Farnesol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Methylisothiazolinone

The top of the AcneFree cleanser bottle.

Okay, I think that's about all I have to say about that. Let me know in the comments if my review of this AcneFree cleanser was helpful, and feel free to ask any questions you have about it. I'll do my best to answer!

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if anything has changed since you posted this!! I was just getting ready to order a set of ProActiv right now! I am so glad I saw this!!!!! I think I'll try it from Walmart first, and if it works as great on my skin as yours, I'll go to Amazon to save more money!!
    I'm glad you were brave enough to include that you use it on your chest and back--I need that too. I also get bumps/ingrown hairs on my thighs a bit, so I'll experiment there too, just in case!!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The product works for me however it makes my face sort of red and blotchy every once in a while.

      Delete
    2. The product works for me however it makes my face sort of red and blotchy every once in a while.

      Delete
  2. Nice Blog Thank for the review,
    Buy Biotique Bio Berberry Hydrating Cleanser from RetailPharma that Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth.
    Cleansing Milk
    Biotique Product Review

    ReplyDelete