Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Best Conditioner Under $2: Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture Review

My hair is long, thick, wavy, and generally difficult to manage. Without the right conditioner, it gets tangled, which leads to breakage, and it will also end up frizzy, poofy, and dull-looking.

In the past, I have rotated my conditioners, but I have almost always bought salon brands that tend to be on the expensive side. Drugstore brands just don't get the job done for me. My old standby is Redken All Soft conditioner, which is anywhere from about $13-$20 for an 8.5 oz. bottle and $20-40 for a 33.8 oz. bottle depending on where you buy.

About a year ago, I got to a point where I could no longer afford these expensive brands. In fact, I could really only afford the cheapest brands, so I started trying various conditioners in the $1 to $4 range. Most of them were pretty bad, but I finally found one that works relatively well for my hair type: Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture conditioner.

32 oz. bottle of Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture conditioner.

On the bottle, it says that this conditioner is supposed to work as well as Nexxus Humectress conditioner, which I've used and liked. But this Suave Professionals Humectant conditioner does not actually work nearly as well as Nexxus Humectress.

It does, however, work better than most $2 conditioners.

At my local Walmart, Suave Professionals Humectant conditioner currently costs about $1.84 for a 12.6 oz. bottle and $2.74 for a 32 oz. bottle. Here is my review:

Pros:
  • It detangles better than other conditioners under $2.
  • It does a little smoothing and adds some shine, more than other conditioners under $2.
  • It has a decent texture, not too thin.
  • It never leaves my hair feeling greasy or stringy.
  • The price is great.
  • Because it's Suave brand, it's widely available.

Cons:
  • There are much better conditioners out there that detangle, smooth, add shine, and provide other benefits that are superior to what this product does (just not for this price).
  • Some people prefer not to use conditioners that contain silicones, and this does contain both dimethicone and amodimethicone.

Overall, for someone with my difficult-to-manage hair, this is not a great conditioner. Still, it's a lot better than other conditioners I've tried in this price range. And for people with more easily managed hair, it might be a great product. I would definitely say it's the best cheap conditioner I've ever used.

As I mentioned in my review of Suave Professionals Rosemary + Mint shampoo, not all products in the Suave Professionals line are very good. The Damage Care shampoo and conditioner were especially bad on my hair. Used together or separately, they left my scalp really greasy. Just a warning. This particular product from this line has worked for me, but I wouldn't recommend all of them.

And that's about it! I hope this review of Suave Professionals Humectant Moisture conditioner has provided you with some useful information.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment