Saturday, September 10, 2011

Best Cheap Cotton Rounds: Dollar General Brand Review

Last time I wrote about my favorite toner, which costs less than $1.50 for a 16 oz. bottle. Today I want to talk about my favorite cheap cotton rounds, which I use to apply that toner.

They are the Dollar General brand cotton rounds, which only cost $1 for a package of 80. If you live outside of the United States, or if you live in Alaska or somewhere else that doesn't have a Dollar General store, then I apologize. You probably won't be able to buy these. For everyone else, the following is my review of Dollar General brand cotton rounds.

A partially used package of Dollar General cotton rounds.

These cotton rounds aren't perfect, but they actually work better than some of the most expensive brands I've tried. I used to use Swisspers Premium hypoallergenic cotton rounds, which also come in an 80-count package but cost three times as much as the DG brand rounds. Swisspers cotton rounds are the best I've tried, and these DG rounds are not as good, but for the amount of money I'm saving, they're good enough.

Pros:
  • Like Swisspers Premium rounds, these DG rounds are quilted, which makes them better at picking up stuff like makeup and oil from your face.
  • They are 100% cotton, so they're hypoallergenic, very absorbent, and gentle. I also like that it's a pure product.
  • Unlike some more expensive rounds I've tried, these never leave lint or strips of cotton on my face.
  • They're flat and dense, so they don't poof up, and they swipe easily across your face.
  • The package has a resealable zipper.

Cons:
  • Unlike Swisspers, they are not stitched around the edges, so they tend to stretch a bit as you use them (see pictures below). I've never had them fall apart enough to render them unusable, though.
  • While they don't leave lint on my face, they do leave lint on my fingers (see picture below). I think it's because I apply pressure with my fingers in one position, so when I pull them away, some of the wet cotton sticks to them. On my face, I simply swipe across, so the cotton doesn't stick. I should note that this doesn't bother me, because I just wipe the lint back onto the round when I'm done with it. No big deal.
  • I once bought a package that appeared to be full of defective rounds. They were fluffy, as though the layers hadn't been properly stuck together. I've been using these for about a year, and this only happened once, so I think it was probably just a defective pack. I guess that's one of the risks you run when purchasing dollar store products. 

DG cotton round before use.

DG cotton round after use.

Lint left behind after use.

That's about it! Hopefully my review of Dollar General cotton rounds has helped you decide whether you think they're worth a try. In my experience, they are the best cheap cotton rounds for when you're really strapped for cash, and after all, that's what this blog is all about!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the edge stitching difference, I myself have been looking for the brand of rounds I once bought at Walmart years and years ago by "100% cotton" (yes, the actual brand, as in "the cotton of our lives") that were quilted in this same pattern and stitched around the edge. They stopped selling them shortly after and I've been using the Target store brand, which are not quilted, not stitched, and fluffy. They really cheap, but I think I'd rather pay a bit more to have the better style rounds. I will go take a look at Swisspers if I run across them in a store, they sound exactly styled like the ones I had and loved.

    ReplyDelete