Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Best Cheap Setting Powder: Ben Nye Neutral Set Review

Last time I wrote about my favorite inexpensive concealer, but that concealer won't do a whole lot for you without a good setting powder to keep it from running, settling into fine lines, or rubbing off 10 minutes after you apply it. Powder also helps to reduce shine on your face. My favorite setting powder is Ben Nye Neutral Set.

I've used this powder for several years. It's actually intended as a translucent setting powder for theatrical makeup, to keep that heavy cream makeup that actors wear from smearing, rubbing, or sweating off while they're on stage, but it works great for everyday makeup too. It is extremely affordable, but I love it so much that I use it even when I can afford more expensive products.

Anyway, the following is my review of Ben Nye Neutral Set powder!

1.75 oz. bottle of Ben Nye Neutral Set powder. Ingredients are listed near the bottom.

Pros:
  • Because it is translucent, it works for any skin tone and looks way more natural than tinted powders.
  • It keeps your concealer and other makeup right where you put it. Even if you sweat or rub your face against something, it won't budge. It even prevents makeup from settling into fine lines.
  • It keeps working all day, and you don't have to reapply.
  • It has a mattifying effect, so your face won't look shiny. If you have oily skin, you may have to reapply to keep the shine down (although I prefer to blot with a tissue).
  • The ingredients in Ben Nye Neutral Set are fairly basic. Click the image above to enlarge it and read the ingredients list.
  • I've never gotten clogged pores or breakouts from this, even though my skin is very prone to acne.
  • Even though it's a loose powder, it doesn't give your skin that powdery look. After maybe fifteen minutes, it's like it disappears.
  • It comes in 1 oz., 1.75 oz., 3 oz., and 8 oz. bottles. Because it doesn't take very much of this powder to get the job done, I've had a 1 oz. bottle last me over a year before.
  • The cost varies depending on where you buy it, but if you purchase it online, you can find a 1 oz. bottle for as little as $4 plus shipping.

Cons:
  • It's hard to find in stores unless you happen to have a costume store near you that sells it. I've always had to order it online from suppliers of theatrical makeup or websites like Amazon.
  • Some people don't like the shaker bottles it comes in. You have to tap a bit of the powder out of the bottle to apply it. I actually like this because it keeps the powder in the bottle from getting contaminated. I have a small cup that I shake some powder into, and it's not that much of a hassle
  • If you don't have a makeup brush already, you'll probably have to purchase one to use this Ben Nye powder. I would recommend the Sonia Kashuk brush pictured below. Read my review of it here.

This is an image of the 1.75 oz. shaker bottle uncapped, so you can see how it works. Also pictured is my makeup brush with some powder on it so that you can get an idea of how I apply this.

Ben Nye shaker bottle uncapped with powder brush.

That's pretty much it! I hope you found my review of Ben Nye Neutral Set powder to be helpful. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment