Thursday, September 8, 2011

Best Cheap Toner for Acne-Prone or Dry Skin: Generic Witch Hazel Review

I have combination facial skin. My forehead and chin are oily and prone to acne, whereas my nose and cheeks are dry and need a strong moisturizer. I use toner morning and night after cleansing but before applying any other products (acne treatments, moisturizer, etc.). I like it because it seems to remove any remaining gunk that might clog my pores, and I think my skin receives other products better once it's been primed with the toner.

Previously, I used the Skin Balancing Toner from Paula's Choice. I loved it, but at $16 plus shipping for a 6 oz. bottle that lasted a month if I was lucky, it wasn't something I could afford when my finances went south.

Thus, I began my search for a less expensive toner that would still help balance my skin, prepare it for the next step in my beauty routine, and never break me out. That search ended when I found this:

16 oz. bottle of generic witch hazel astringent.

I had tried witch hazel products in the past and never had much luck with them, but I had never tried something this basic. It's 86% witch hazel and 14% alcohol. That's it. No other ingredients. I was a little nervous about the alcohol part, because I have found alcohol to be a bit harsh on my skin in the past, but it seems to be a perfect complement to the witch hazel in this mixture.

Two great things about this toner: 1) it works wonderfully and 2) it costs less than $1.50 for a 16 oz. bottle!

Pros:
  • It's got a watery consistency that I like because it doesn't feel heavy on my skin.
  • It feels nice and refreshing when I smooth it on.
  • I've been using it almost a year now and it has never broken me out (in fact, I think it helps my acne).
  • It seems to help balance my combination skin. Oily, acne-prone parts are now less oily, and it seems to soothe dry patches.
  • One bottle lasts me well over two months, even though I use it liberally twice every day.
  • At my local Walmart, a 16 oz. bottle of generic witch hazel currently costs only $1.44.

Cons:
  • Some people dislike the way it smells. It's sort of like boiled eggs. It's never bothered me, and it doesn't linger. After it dries, you can't smell anything.
  • In the winter, or for people with very dry skin, it may be a bit drying.

Honestly, I have yet to find any fault with this product. It does exactly what I want it to do, and it doesn't even put a dent in my wallet. Even when my financial situation improves, I will keep using this generic witch hazel as a toner. I would recommend it for any skin type.

I've always gotten this from the pharmacy section at Walmart, and like I said, it's dirt cheap. I would imagine you could find a similar (if not identical) product at most pharmacies and drugstores. You can also purchase witch hazel online from drugstores and some other shopping websites, although it might not be quite as cheap because you'll probably have to pay for shipping.

I know a lot of people also like Dickinson witch hazel products, which are not as cheap as the generic stuff I buy but still fairly inexpensive. They market their blue label product as an astringent for first aid and their yellow label product as a facial toner, but from what I can tell, they both contain 86% witch hazel and 14% alcohol just like the generic I buy. For some reason, the blue label product tends to cost less.

Anyway, I have found generic witch hazel to be the best cheap toner that money can buy, and I hope you'll have as much luck with it as I have (assuming my review has persuaded you :). Feel free to share your experience with it in the comments section!

Also, be sure to check out my post about my favorite cheap cotton rounds, which I use to apply this toner.

No comments:

Post a Comment